Grease Control Policy

The Grease Control Program conducts public outreach to Winston-Salem and Forsyth County residents to decrease the amount of fats, oils and grease (FOG) in the sanitary sewer system. Grease causes frequent blockages in sewer pipes resulting in sanitary sewer overflows (SSOs). An SSO is when untreated sewage is released into the environment before reaching the wastewater treatment plant. Grease related SSOs have been increasing over the years due to discharges of FOG by residents and businesses. This causes wastewater to back up in a pipe and flow out manholes. Untreated sewage can flow into storm drain inlets, creeks, lakes or rivers. Most overflows, being relatively small, can be stopped and cleaned up quickly. If not addressed, SSOs can result in property damage, strong odors, environmental, health, and safety problems. Report an SSO by calling 311. Emergency crews are on call 24 hours a day.

The City's goal is to take a proactive approach of pollution prevention focusing on proper FOG disposal, thus protecting the environment and decreasing sewer maintenance costs. The Grease Control Program identifies residential areas and businesses that have a high incidence of grease related SSOs. The program also provides educational tools and information to help alleviate frequent and repetitive SSOs.

Do YOUR part and . . . Can the Grease!

Residential Grease

Only you can ... Can the Grease!

Can the Grease

Watch the "Grease Out" video about proper disposal of cooking grease, oil, and fat

Pour used cooking grease in a can or jar and dispose of properly.

  • Pour or scrape grease from pots and pans into a can or jar. Store this in the refrigerator until it is full. When the grease is chilled solid, throw it in the garbage.
  • Pour used liquid frying oil into containers that can be capped and then thrown in the garbage.

Why not just pour grease down the drain?

Grease coats the insides of drain and sewer pipes. Over time, the grease builds up until it blocks the pipe. When this happens, the drain backs up into the house. If the clog is in a sewer pipe, raw sewage can back up into your house!

Where does grease come from?

Grease is used in cooking and it occurs naturally in many foods. It can be found in such items as: meat fats, lard, butter, margarine, cooking oil shortening, food scraps, baking goods, sauces, and even salad dressings.

Hot water DOES NOT dissolve grease. If you pour grease down the drain with hot water, it will harden in the pipes as soon as the water cools off.

Residents can access our "Can the Grease" and "La grasa…al bote!" brochure for additional information. Residents who have a sewer backflow can access our Good Neighbor Policy and Póliza del Buen Vecino for information.

Do YOUR part and...Can the Grease!

Helpful Links:

Grease Control Policy [pdf/14p]

Grease Maintenance Service Record [doc/1p]

Grease Variance Application [doc/1p]

Submit Application to:

Industrial Waste Control
City of Winston-Salem
2799 Griffith Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27103

Contact Information:
336-397-7620 (direct)
336-765-0130 (program)

Fax: 336-659-4320


Notify me about changes on this page

Receive E-Mail Notification When New Information is Posted on this Page
As a member, enjoy the benefits of MyCityofWS, including your choice of newsletters, and notifications about events and site updates. Login and Manage Your Subscriptions Now.