Historic Resources Commission - May 14, 2018
A local historic marker commemorating the Silver Hill neighborhood will be unveiled at 2 p.m. Saturday, May 19, at the corner of Wiley Avenue and Holiday Street in Winston-Salem.
The neighborhood was established by African-Americans in the 1880s who worked in Winston's tobacco factories and as domestic workers. During the first decades of the 20th century the neighborhood was surrounded by the new developments of Buena Vista and West Highlands. The neighborhood included a church and cemetery; the church burned down in 1942; the cemetery is now owned and maintained by United Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church.
Speakers at the unveiling will include Mayor Allen Joines, Council Members Vivian H. Burke and Jeff MacIntosh, Karyn Reilly of the Historic Resources Commission, Prestina Gist of West End Baptist & First Institutional Church, and the Rev. Yvette Lovett Martin of United Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church.
In the event of substantial rain, the event will be held at United Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church, 450 Metropolitan Drive, Winston-Salem.
Silver Hill, a small, L-shaped 1880s African-American neighborhood of modest houses built by tobacco workers and domestic servants, predated the white subdivision of Buena Vista that developed around it. The community housed approximately 12 families through 1952. None of the houses remain. The Negro Antioch Baptist Church, ca. 1892, stood on Holiday Street until destroyed by fire in 1942. Headstones were removed from the cemetery for protection. 558 interments have been identified from 1901 to 1951. United Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church has owned and maintained the cemetery since 1965.