Automated Yard Waste Collection
Problem with illegal dumping?
Read about TRASH BUSTERS!!
An annual collection fee of $60 is charged for each cart. You can renew online. (Annual Fee is for a Fiscal Year: July 01 until June 30 of the next year)
Don't have a yard-waste cart but want one? You can order a new yard-waste cart AND sticker together for $125. The annual fee included with the cart is for a Fiscal Year of July 01 until June 30.
What is the automated waste collection system?
Automated collection uses a specially-fitted waste truck. Waste is mechanically dumped into the truck from a curbside location. The operator uses a set of controls inside the truck cab to operate a mechanical arm that lifts, dumps, and returns your roll-out cart to the curb.
This automated collection service is Winston-Salem’s preferred choice.
Automated waste collection has several advantages
- IT IS MORE EFFICIENT. One automated vehicle operator can do the work of two conventional manual vehicle operators.
- IT SAVES MONEY. By eliminating manual loading, the automated system keeps staffing levels low, increases productivity, and reduces job-related injuries.
Materials you may put in your yard waste cart
- Small branches, sticks, shrubbery clippings and garden residue
Additional requirements apply
- Yard waste is shredded in a tub grinder. Certain materials damage the grinder.
NO DIRT, rocks, stumps, large branches, construction material, animal waste, bags, boxes or garbage.
- Yard cart collection fee paid annually for each cart.
- Only 96-gallon carts that are compatible with city's automated collection vehicles will be collected.
- Only 3 carts per residence (150-lb. limit each), are eligible for service.
- Cart(s) cannot be overloaded - the lid must be completely closed and cart(s) placed squarely at the curb to be serviced.
When should you place your cart at the curb?
When you purchase your cart the city will notify you of your collection day.
After you fill your yard-waste cart, place it at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your yard-waste cart collection day. Please remember to remove your yard-waste cart from the curb by midnight of your collection day. For more information about the yard-waste cart collection service, call the Sanitation Division at 727-2638.
How can you purchase a yard-waste cart?
The city will continue to have available for purchase durable 96-gallon yard-waste carts with hinged, tight-fitting lids to eliminate litter, odor, and insect problems.
Yard-waste carts may be purchased at the City Warehouse, located at 1550-A Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive for $65.
Call 727-8000 to order a new yard-waste cart.
Or you can pick up a yard cart at the City Warehouse during the hours of 7:30 a.m.- 4:15 p.m. You will need enough space in your vehicle to hold the 96-gallon cart.
You can order a new yard-waste cart AND sticker together with the online form for $125. The annual fee included with the cart is for a Fiscal Year of July 01 until June 30.
An annual collection fee of $60 is charged for each cart. You can renew online.
(Annual Fee is for a Fiscal Year: July 01 until June 30 of the next year)
For your safety
Safety is a high priority. This automated collection vehicle is equipped with two cameras. The first camera is designed to see items behind the vehicle. This is important because it allows the driver to see approaching cars, pedestrians, animals, and items that are not typically seen without the assistance of a spotter. The second camera is located in the cart dumping area. This allows the driver to see the items being discarded for disposal as your roll-out cart is being emptied. The second camera will be used to enforce the city’s Yard-Waste Cart Ordinances.