Senior Safety and Scams
Top 5 things to remember:
- If an offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- When it comes to a "now or never" opportunity, choose "never."
- Keep account numbers, codes and passwords private.
- Shred bills, junk mail, and receipts when discarding them.
- Don't be afraid to report your experiences. If you feel uncomfortable, tell someone.
For more information:
- Learn more about known scams and how you can protect yourself at www.stopseniorscams.org (an external web site which will open in a new window)
- Also read the pamphlet published by the North Carolina Department of Justice in August 2008 called SCAMS & FRAUD [pdf/241kb/20p]