ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION of Tier II Chemical Inventory Information

Tier II Submission 

Facilities that use or store hazardous chemicals (above a certain threshold) must report their chemical inventory annually.  These inventories are used by first responders and other authorities, and by having the inventories available online, access is much quicker and the information is more up-to-date.  Changes  and/or updates can be made online by companies as needed, without waiting for the next year's report to be filed.  A fee will be charged to submit your Tier II Report on E-Plan.  


Tier II Reports must be completed online with E-Plan.  Paper copies will no longer be accepted.  Once your Tier II submission has been made online, paper copies will not need to be mailed.  

The N.C. General Assembly established a new fee for hazardous materials facilities in the 2014 budget.  This fee will be charged when you submit Tier II Reports which are due January 1 through March 31.   Fee receipts will support the seven Regional Response Teams that respond to hazardous materials, management of the Tier II reporting system in North Carolina, and provide for grants to local governments for hazardous materials emergency planning and preparedness.  

How will this process work?

Facilities required to submit annual Tier II reports:

  • Enter and submit your facility data using the E-Plan system as you have in the past (https://www.erplan.net).
  • Once your facility and chemical information has been validated, the system will calculate the total fee and direct you to an online payment page.
  • NCEM will accept Visa, MasterCard, and electronic checks for Tier II reporting fees.
  • Once the payment process has been successfully completed, you will be directed back to E-Plan to finalize and submit your annual Tier II report.  

What are the Tier II fees? 

  • Fifty dollars ($50) per Hazardous Substance
  • Ninety dollars ($90) per Extremely Hazardous Substance
  • There is a $5,000 maximum annual fee per person (including corporations, etc.)

Who is exempt from fees?

  • Owners and operators of family farm enterprises
  • Local, state, and federal government facilities
  • Non-profit corporations
  • Owners and operators of commercial fuel stations (for motor fuels offered for retail sale only)
  • Motor vehicle dealers as defined by G.S. 20-286(11)



To learn more about E-Plan and link to other resources, please go to the website: https://erplan.net.  

For additional information on the use of E-Plan in North Carolina, Tier II reporting, thresholds, training announcements, the SERC and hazardous materials program support, please see the North Carolina Emergency Management (NCEM) website at:


For reporting requirements, please see the EPA fact sheet on EPCRA and summary of reporting requirements at:


For a listing of chemicals and threshold planning and reporting requirements see the EPA list:  


If you still need assistance or have additional questions, please contact the following:

Notify me of page changes

Receive E-Mail Notification When New Information is Posted on this Page
As a member, enjoy the benefits of MyCityofWS, including your choice of newsletters, and notifications about events and site updates. Login and Manage Your Subscriptions Now.