City Link Top 10 Issues

  • My trash was not collected. What do I do?
    Contact City Link at 311 or 727-8000. A missed collection will be reported to a route supervisor for investigation whenever trash was inadvertently missed by our trucks. The issue will be investigated within 48 hours. 
  • Whom do I contact to report a burned out street light?
    A: Please visit the Duke Energy web site or call Duke Energy at 1-800-769-3766. Duke Energy will be dispatched to repair the street light within 3-5 days.
  • How can I dispose of large items, such as furniture?
    The City of Winston-Salem offers bulky item pickup once a year from March through August. Information is located on the Sanitation Department website. Residents can also dispose of items at the Hanes Mill Road landfill. City residents are entitled to two free trips with a landfill permit. In addition, Neighborhood Services will dispose of items for a fee. If the item is gently used, consider donating to a charitable organization.
  • What is the schedule for brush collection?
    January 1 through October 31, collection usually takes between 7 to 10 working days. November 1 through January 1, small branches, sticks and shrubbery clippings placed in yard carts with a valid collection sticker will be collected weekly on your regular yard cart collection day. During leaf season, collection takes between 3 and 4 weeks. Collection is limited because the leaf collectors are also the brush collectors. No excess brush loads will be collected during leaf season.
  • I want to pay my water bill via telephone (or I have a question about my account). Who do I contact?
    Residents may call CityLink at 311 or 727-8000. Water bills can also be paid online.
  • Where can I find information regarding a change to the trash/yard waste cart/curbside recycling collection schedules as a result of a city-observed holiday?
    The holiday schedule is posted on the Sanitation Department web site. The alternate schedules will also be posted on WSTV 13, the Winston-Salem Journal, and local news stations prior to the holiday. Residents may also contact City Link at 311 or 727-8000.

  • Where can I obtain a copy of a birth or death certificate?
    Forsyth County Register of Deeds at 201 N. Chestnut Street, 2nd Floor, Winston-Salem. The telephone number is 703-2700.

  • My neighbor has junk vehicles, a broken appliance, and trash in his yard, and grass several inches in height. Whom do I notify?
    Contact City Link at 311 or 727-8000 with the address. A request for a code enforcement inspection will be generated.
  • How do I obtain a city-issued 96 gallon roll-out trash cart for wheeling to the curb and a recycling bin? I also need to know what items are acceptable for recycling.
    Contact City Link at 311 or 727-8000. The first trash cart is free; an annual fee of $40.00 will be billed to the address for a second cart. The trash cart can be delivered at no charge or can be picked up. Each household may have up to two 18-gallon recycling bins. A recycle guide may be accessed on the Recycle Today website or by request. Residents may call the recycling customer service hotline at 72-EARTH (723-2784) for additional information.
  • Whom do I notify regarding a malfunctioning traffic signal?
    Contact City Link at 311 or 727-8000. The city’s Department of Transportation traffic signal technicians will be dispatched to repair the traffic signal.

City Link 311



Notify me of page changes

Receive E-Mail Notification When New Information is Posted on this Page
As a member, enjoy the benefits of MyCityofWS, including your choice of newsletters, and notifications about events and site updates. Login and Manage Your Subscriptions Now.