Have Questions?

"Here are some answers!"

What is the M/WBE Program?

A: M/WBE stands for the Minority and Women-owned Business Enterprise Program.  

What are the M/WBE Program benefits

A:  M/WBE provides:

  • Assistance in completing the Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) certification process required by the State of NC.
  • Assistance in Completing the NCDOT Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program (DBE) certification process required by the State of NC.
  • Assistance in increasing the City of Winston-Salem's knowledge of your firm's product or service and your desire to do business with the city.
  • Electronic notification of bid opportunities and request for proposal (RFP).
  • Training seminars, workshops, and outreach sessions that are beneficial to minority and woman-owned businesses .
  • Assistance with the resolution of problems and complaints regarding non-compliance with the M/WBE Program.

What type of firm qualifies as a M/WBE?

A: Per NC General Statue 143-128.4, to quality as a HUB, a business must be at least 51% owned, controlled, and managed by 1 or more citizens or lawful permanent citizens of the United States who are members of 1 or more of the following groups:  (1) Black, (2) Hispanic,

  • For the purposes of M/WBE, Minority Business Enterprises group members are African American, Hispanic Americans, Pacific Rim Asian Americans, and American Indian owned businesses.
  • All other American women not included in the above groups are eligible for certification as Women Business Enterprises (WBE) under the M/WBE program.

What business resources are available for M/WBE firms?

A: There are several resources available:

  • For questions regarding your small business or one you wish to start contact Steven Harrison, Small Business Liaison at 336-747-7474 or vial email at stevench@cityofws.org
  • If you need financial assistance to start or expand your business, consider applying for the Small Business Loan Program

How are M/WBE's notified of procurement opportunities with the City of Winston-Salem?

A: There are several ways to be notified. They are:

  • Weekly notification of upcoming opportunities (construction, goods & services, professional services, department needs, etc.) are emailed to businesses who sign up with the City of Winston-Salem. Please complete the vendor registration form to receive notifications.
  • The Purchasing Department posts all bid opportunities on their webpage under the bid opportunities link.
  • One can also subscribe to receive an email notification when information is posted to the City of Winston-Salem's website via this link.
  • Certain notices are advertised in general circulation, trade association, and minority-focus media.

What can M/WBEs do to increase their participation in the bidding process?

A: These simple steps can increase your opportunities with the City of Winston-Salem.

  • Become HUB and/or DBE certified by reviewing information provided via the hyperlinks. Contact the M/WBE staff for assistance
  • Attend pre-bid conferences and bid opening meetings
  • Attend seminars, workshops, and outreach sessions sponsored by the City of Winston-Salem
  • Establish and maintain contacts and relationships with general contractors for potential business
  • Respond promptly to solicitation requests
  • Maintain open communication with the City of Winston-Salem, and notify appropriate departments regarding any changes in your address, telephone number, or scope of work or service offered by your firm.

If I am certified with the state do I still need to be certified with the City of Winston-Salem M/WBE Program?

A: No, the city no longer has a certification program. You must obtain your certification through the State Wide Uniform Certification program administered by the State HUB program.

How can I locate M/WBE vendors? 

A: The City of Winston Salem maintains an extensive Vendor Directory of M/WBE and non-M/WBE firms that have requested to be a registered vendor. You can also search for certified M/WBE firms through the State of North Carolina Office for Historically Underutilized Businesses (HUB).

Am I required to attend pre-bid meetings for a project? 

A: This will vary from bid to bid, depending upon the type of project and whether or not the city determines that bidders will need to have information for prior to formulating a bid regarding the scope of work or conditions at a job-site. The M/WBE program strongly recommends that you attend all pre-bid meetings as a general contractor, subcontractor, or supplier, even if the pre-bid is non-mandatory. 

What is the difference between a bid and a proposal? 

A: Bids, known as competitively sealed bids or Invitation for Bid (IFB), refers to a contracting method in which sealed bids are publicly solicited, opened, and a contract is awarded based on price to the lowest, responsive, and responsible bidder. Proposals refer to a contracting method in which a solicitation is made through a Request for Proposal (RFP), and between receipt of proposals and award, discussions with vendors may take place, which may result in price changes.

Where can I locate bid documents for purchasing opportunities?

A: Depending on the type of opportunity, the Invitation to Bid or RFP may be available for download on the purchasing website. If not, you will find the contact information for the buyer assigned to that particular opportunity, who can provide the necessary documents.If you do not find the particular information you are seeking, contact M/WBE staff.

What were the results of a particular bid?

A: You will be able to find most bid results on the Purchasing website shortly after the bids for that project are opened. If you do not find the particular information you are seeking, contact M/WBE staff.

What is the Davis-Bacon Act and who does it apply to?

A: The Davis-Bacon Acts, apply to contractors and subcontractors performing on federally funded or assisted contracts in excess of $2,000 for the construction, alteration, or repair (including painting and decorating) of public buildings or public works. Davis-Bacon Act and Related Act contractors and subcontractors must pay their laborers and mechanics employed under the contract no less than the prevailing wages and fringe benefits for corresponding work on similar projects in the area. For more information please visit the links below:

Davis-Bacon and Related Acts

The Copeland "Anti-Kickback" Act

Federal Labor Standards HUD Form 4010

Notify me of page changes

Receive E-Mail Notification When New Information is Posted on this Page
As a member, enjoy the benefits of MyCityofWS, including your choice of newsletters, and notifications about events and site updates. Login and Manage Your Subscriptions Now.